Necessary skills and tools for digital forensic officers
Discuss About The Mathematical Method Accident Reconstruction?
Digital forensics is used for investigating the digital devices like hard disk image, pen drive image and computer memory dump. Investigation gives lot of useful results that can be used as evidences in the court of law. Analytical skills , Computer science knowledge, Good knowledge about the cyber security and cyber security laws of the land, Good management and organizational skills, effective communication skills are needed for a good digital forensic officer. A crime case study will be investigated in this report. The digital forensic tools that can be used for investigating the hard disk will be studied. Suitable tools will be used for the investigation. Investigation results will be shared with evidences. Suitable conclusions will be made based on the investigation results.
Miss Chew got murdered. Police arrested Kim and Kim confessed the crime and said the killing assignment came from Liew. Kims computer seized and the hard disk images were sent for forensic investigation. Lot of tools can be used for investigating the hard disk images. Specific tools are used in this case and results are obtained ("7 Best Computer Forensics Tools", 2018).
With premise on analyzing disk images & breaking into suspicious or incriminating evidences that may have been deleted or hidden, Digital Forensics Tools are used for Viewing Image Contents in Windows. The case investigation will witness learning on the use of diverse advanced disk analysis tools including Forensic Tool Kit (FTK) and ProDiscover Basic with practical, real-life experiments. During the analysis process, the investigator will through these tools be expected to search for information pertinent to the case being compiled. Forensic Tool kit is an AcessData program specifically for digitally based investigations. On the other hand, ProDiscover Basic is an advanced reporting tool and is a perfect option for generating reports and creating disk images. Unlike the FTK, ProDiscover is limited in the aspect of showing most deleted files or hidden partitions.
The FTK free versions are a more reasonable option considering the robust version is more expensive. However, the more robust one allows for password recovery, encryption protection and analysis of Windows and MAC OS.
The Analyzing Disk Image File is done in Pro Discover Basic
- Open Pro Discover basic.
- At login screen in OS(Windows 8) utilize word.
- Dispatch Pro Discover basic software from work area. The screen will open requesting data regarding another or existing undertaking. Meanwhile, this is another venture, and will round out data for number name. At that point click the option named Open (Lynch & Duval, 2011).
- The new undertaking will then be opened. Now, nothing is there to examine since the venture and is void.
- To include 'Georges Drive Image.001' to the undertaking for the purpose of examination, explore to 1.Action 2.Add 3.Image File.
- Open 'Y: Investigative Drive', and select the Georges Drive Image.001. At that point click Open. The drive has now been added to the venture. Tap on Pictures which was settled underneath Content Opinion in left route menu. The circle picture is provided (Houck & Siegel, 2011).
- For taking a gander at the substance of Georges Drive Image, grow '+' image on one side of Images until achieving C:. Substance of circle show up in correct side examination window. You can click into every envelope to see substance ("Best computer forensic tools. Top forensic data recovery apps", 2018).
- It would appear that George has a few pictures on drive. The organizer, 'Excursion Photos', the below image shows that it has four pictures ("Effective Digital Forensic Tools - Recommended Hacker Tools 2017", 2018).
- Consider the possibility that we need to investigate those photographs in a watcher cordial package. It transform anything inside plate picture document, this harm the uprightness of proof. Additionally, this have the plate picture set to peruse just, so we can't roll out any improvements in any case. So we have to make a duplicate of the individual photographs. Keep in mind that every individual bit of confirmation must be chopped. To duplicate 'eiffel-tower-paris-2.jpg' to Investigative Drive, right snap over document and select File named copy.
- You have to replace the photograph to an area. Pick the Inspective Drive. Presently we should mess the picture. Open the WinHex, at that point explore to open the file. Investigative Drive contain photograph to be open. At that point explore to select the Tool, click on Compute Hash. Select md5 and mess the document. Duplicate the hash an incentive into a content archive and spare it to the Inspective Drive. Along these lines you need to utilize the entire evidence is taken as proof of the photograph isn't adjusted amid your investigation.
- Presently you can securely take a gander at the photograph in a photograph watcher (Ash, Benedek & Scott, 2010).
- Backpedal to ProDiscover and take a gander at different envelopes and records on the plate picture. What will have in Deleted Files and Recycle Bin envelopes? Is there something which looks suspicious? Is there anything that appears to be hard to discover or situate inside ProDiscover Basic? Work on replicating proof records and hashing them. Monitor all that you duplicate and hash.
- Whenever completed, spare the undertaking record select File then click Save Project and close out of ProDiscover Basic.
Job4You & Instruction (18 Feb): Anthony Liew sends an email to Leonard Kim, which contains an instruction in text format, details, photo, Facebook details and residential address of victim (Jaclyn Chew) in a zipped format.
Case study: Murder investigation and digital forensics
Instruction in text format is in zip format. The password for opening it is ‘blood’.
The morse code is converted into text format. The evidence is shown below
The information given is to place the body in that area (PUNGGOL PARK).
The internet browsing history shows that the searches are done on the tool to be used to kill Jaclyn chew. The images are provided below.
Please take an action on this (28 Feb) : Anthony Liew questioned Leonard kim to take psychology on this.
Another note of why this is long (12 Mar) : Leonard kim sent a reply mail to Anthony Liew that it got late for weapon to reach Leonard kim.
Killed JC (14 Mar): The mail is again sent from Leonard kim to Anthony Liew that he (Leonard kim) murdered Jaclyn chew.
The evidence is also attached as image which is shown below.
From the recycle bin, the image is taken with hidden message of murder location.
The location is shared by Anthony Liew to Leonard kim. The image shows the 444 hougang avenue 8,lat-long.
Antony liew verified the case, and rewarded Leonard kim that he did a good job. He then promised that he will sent the remaining rewards 1- 3 workdays through paypal.
Assignment Payment (17 Mar): The remaining rewards are sent to leonard kim and the main screenshot is shown below. Conformation of the receipt is also attached by Anthony liew along with this mail.
A crime case study is investigated in this report. The digital forensic tools that can be used for investigating the hard disk are studied. Suitable tools are used for the investigation. Investigation results are shared with evidences. Suitable conclusions are made based on the investigation results. Lot of proofs are presented for illegal money transfer, well planned murder, murder materials, evidence for the murder, disposal plan, execution of the murder, pre payments , post payments and etc. The efforts and intension are very clear from the browser search results. There are reasons for the late execution of the murder and the date of murder is clearly mentioned. Paypal is used for the payment and hence payment proof can be provided by the PAYPAL that can be used in any court of law. The hard disk of the computer belongs to Kim and hence the mistaken identity can’t be used as a defence side argument. Investigation results shows that Miss Chew got murdered. Kim is the killer. The killing assignment came from Liew. Liew should be arrested and prosecuted as per the laws of the land.
7 Best Computer Forensics Tools. (2018). InfoSec Human Resources Management. Retrieved 26 January 2018, from https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/7-best-computer-forensics-tools/#gref
22 Popular Computer Forensics Tools [Updated for 2017]. (2018). InfoSec Resources. Retrieved 26 January 2018, from https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/computer-forensics-tools/#gref
23 FREE Forensic Investigation Tools for IT Security Expert. (2018). Geek Flare. Retrieved 26 January 2018, from https://geekflare.com/forensic-investigation-tools/
Adam, C. (2010). Essential mathematics and statistics for forensic science. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell.
Ash, P., Benedek, E., & Scott, C. (2010). Principles and practice of child and adolescent forensic mental health. Washington, DC [u.a.]: American Psychiatric Publ.
Best computer forensic tools. Top forensic data recovery apps. (2018). Data Recovery Articles. Retrieved 26 January 2018, from https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/computer-forensic.html
Effective Digital Forensic Tools - Recommended Hacker Tools 2017. (2018). Concise Courses. Retrieved 26 January 2018, from https://www.concise-courses.com/hacking-tools/forensics/
Franck, H., & Franck, D. (2010). Mathematical methods for accident management. Boca Raton [Fla.]: CRC Press.
Gonza?lez Andrade, F. (2010). Forensic genetics research progress. New York: Nova Science.
Houck, M., & Siegel, J. (2011). Fundamentals of forensic science. Amsterdam: Elsevier/Academic Press.
Lynch, V., & Duval, J. (2011). Forensic nursing science. St. Louis: Mosby/Elsevier.
Tabona, A. (2018). Top 20 Free Digital Forensic Investigation Tools for SysAdmins. GFI Blog. Retrieved 26 January 2018, from https://techtalk.gfi.com/top-20-free-digital-forensic-investigation-tools-for-sysadmins/
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2019). Mathematical Methods For Accident Reconstruction: Case Study And Digital Forensic Tools Essay.. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mathematical-method-accident-reconstruction.
"Mathematical Methods For Accident Reconstruction: Case Study And Digital Forensic Tools Essay.." My Assignment Help, 2019, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mathematical-method-accident-reconstruction.
My Assignment Help (2019) Mathematical Methods For Accident Reconstruction: Case Study And Digital Forensic Tools Essay. [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mathematical-method-accident-reconstruction
[Accessed 01 December 2023].
My Assignment Help. 'Mathematical Methods For Accident Reconstruction: Case Study And Digital Forensic Tools Essay.' (My Assignment Help, 2019) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mathematical-method-accident-reconstruction> accessed 01 December 2023.
My Assignment Help. Mathematical Methods For Accident Reconstruction: Case Study And Digital Forensic Tools Essay. [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2019 [cited 01 December 2023]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mathematical-method-accident-reconstruction.