Evaluate the challanges and opportunities of mobile computing in business performance.
Understanding of Mobile Computing in Business
The advancements in the field of technology have increased the opportunities for the organizations to compete more successfully in the market. The organizations are regularly shifting towards the enhancements of their technological resources for improving the performance. In order to shift towards these advancements, the organizations also have to face a number of challenges. Earlier, the organizations used to perform the business operations with the help of web-based applications. But, in the present scenario, increasing use of smartphones has introduced the use of mobile technology into the business operations and processes (Rahimi et al, 2014). This study aims to describe the literature written related to the challenges and opportunities existed in the industry when the processes of an organization are based on the mobile computing and advancements. The study describes a brief explanation of the objective and scope of the entire project and the review of literature which has been provided by the economists after carrying out vast research on the topic. At the end of the report, a conclusion has been drawn to provide an overview to the entire study and to frame the overall concept that can be understood in an easy manner to the user of this paper.
- To understand the concept of mobile computing
- To understand the use of mobile computing in the business organizations engaged in different type of activities.
- To find out the challenges faced by the organizations at the time of adopting or after adopting mobile computing practices in the business operations.
- To access the opportunities of using mobile computing for the different type of businesses.
- To access the characteristics of mobile computing and the suitability of such characteristics as per the requirement of different businesses (Xue et al, 2016).
- To identify the challenges regarding the mobile computing for the different business firms
- To provide certain and appropriate solutions regarding the existing challenges that can help the organizations form any type of harm or misuse of data.
- To find out the real-life implication of the theory provided by authors and economist of the information technology sector.
- To develop the total understanding of the latest mobile computing technology this is being used by different sector organizations successfully.
- To provide an appropriate base for the future research about the extended use of mobile computing and other technologies in the business (Vittapu et al, 2015).
The introduction of mobile computing has become essential for the business organizations due to the upgraded of technology day by day. The organizations are required to implement this particular technology in order to enhance the productivity of the employees and well as the capacity of the business operations. But, before implementing this technology, the management of an organization needs to access all the challenges and limitation to use mobile computing in the business (Qi and Gani, 2012). This project mainly increases the level of understanding and knowledge related to the use of mobile computing devices and the fact the how the devices should be used to deal with the challenges in an effective manner and to take the advantages of opportunities. Along with this, the project always provides the knowledge of a wide range of mobile computing devices that can be used by almost all the organization in a generalized manner to perform the tasks that are almost common to all the businesses. Furthermore, some recommendations have also been provided that can be used by the organization to deal with the challenges while maintaining the profitability and success of the business in the long run.
The term mobile computing technology can be understood as the technology which is specially developed for use smartphones. However, on the basis of findings of Pejovic and Musolesi (2015), it is also said that smartphones work only as a part of mobile computing technology. Mobile computing can be defined as the existence of cloud computing services in the smartphones. This technology is used to transmit the set of data and voice with the help of portable devices and wireless network. Mobile computing was previously used for only the communication purpose. But in the present scenario, it is being used for keeping the official record of the employees and often used to track them in case of the organizations providing work from home.
Principles of Mobile Computing
According to Mitra et al. (2015), this helps the organization to possess a huge amount of ability and mobility to have the computing system at all time. There are different sectors of the industry where this technology can be used like online food delivery organizations, cab booking sides, banking sector to provide banking services in an easy manner, multinational companies to mark the attendance of the employees and health controlling devices in form of watches etc.
As per the opinion of Shiraz et al (2014), mobile computing technology has various principles and portability is the most important principle among them. Mobility signifies that the device connected to the mobile computing system is required to have the feature of mobility. Another fact that comes under the principle of mobile computing is connectivity which states that a mobile computing environment requires to possess the high network connectivity to maintain the smooth flow of the operations and processes. Along with this, the nodes connected to the mobile computing environment are required to have the feature of interactivity. It would enable them to communicate and to maintain a healthy transmission of the sets of data. In the opinion of Kim et al. (2013), the mobile computing environment should also have the feature of individuality so that the system would be able to clutch the technology to fulfill the needs of the individual business.
Business organizations can be more efficient and powerful by introducing mobile computing in their day to day practices. The challenges and challenges of using mobile computing in business can be defined as below:
- As per Gikas and Grant (2013), it allows the user to utilize resources and application with the minimum amount of investment in hardware and software which reduces the capital expenditures. Cloud computing based M-commerce applications enable the leaders to take advantage the emerging opportunities without making a large investment. Organizations can also shift the business from offline to online with minimum human and financial resources.
- It allows the users to perform the online transaction at any time irrespective of the location.
- As per, It enhances the range of reachability of an organization by its customers. Domestic as well as international customers may get to know about the products and services provided by a small enterprise. Thus, mobile computing also helps in the expansion of the business.
- One of the most important challenges is the availability of the network at the time of performing transactions. As mobile networks occasionally become unavailable due to the various reasons like atmospheric and natural disturbances.
- Sometimes users have to face a long delay and even failure of the transaction due to the high range from computing service providers.
- Organizations are concerned about privacy and security at the time of using mobile computing in business. Users are worried about the openness to attacks when vital IT and information resources are not in the coverage of the firewall.
- The cloud computing services providers have a full access over the platforms as they do not develop separate platforms for as per the environment of an individual organization.
- Companies have to pay higher charges for the e-commerce application and bandwidth charges. It increases the capital investment in the business.
As per Cui et al. (2013), at the time of working on mobile computing, the users are dependent on the public networks and need to access the VPN. VPN is not capable to protect the data from the attacks of firewalls. Along with this, mobile networks are totally dependent on the battery power at the time of unavailability of the portable generator. In addition to this, keyboard and screen are getting smaller day by day which makes it hard to use the technology in an effective manner. However, there are alternatives available in form of handwriting recognition and speech recognition that can be used to overcome from these challenges.
As per Yang et al. (2014), the issues and Challenges can also be categorized in as below mentioned manner:
Data privacy and security issues
· Risk of data theft
· Privacy of customer’s data
· Destruction of privacy rights
· Loss of financial records
· Handling of decryption and encryption keys
· Share and use of data
· Lack of standards to secure the data integrity
· Incompatibility of services because of the involvement of different vendors.
· Generation and Transfer of data
· Auditing and Security issues related to virtual security
· Theft of devise data
· Protection of data
· Authentication of user
· Malware and Virus attacks via wireless devices
· Wring use of accessing rights
· Storage and System protection
Cloud Service Model and architecture issues
· Security for mobile applications, data users
· Interoperability and Migration
· Cost and price
· SLA ( Service Level Agreement)
· Increasing rate of accessing the confidential data of the organization (Currie, 2013)
· Virtual machine and network security
· Application interface and programming security
· Web application and scanning security
Communication channel issues
· Authentication attacks
· Accessing attacks
· Attacks on data integrity
· Latency and Low bandwidth problems.
· Limited Resources
· Availability of required services
Mobile Computing Infrastructure Issues
· Attacks on Virtual machines
· Authentication and Authorization
· Managing Hybrid Cloud computing security
· Weaknesses existed at the platform level
· Local user attacks (Bal, 2013)
The possible solutions that can be applied for the dealing with above can be described as under:
Efficiency and Power of Mobile Computing in Business
Set the objective and prioritize the risk tolerance
Securing data assets at the workplace is a major challenge for decades. Hard decisions are required to be made at numerous level of protection according to the nature and type of business.
Proactive Security Plan
According to Wang et al (2015), the organizations are required to understand the major threats like social scams, media scams, cybercrime attacks and hacking. On the basis of such understanding, the management should plan policies and procedures in advance to minimize the level of risk and loss.
Plan the response to the unavoidable sophisticated attacks
According to Eshet and Bouwman (2015), hackers aim at finding the weakness due to the evolution of continuous and advanced threats. It is also certain that an organization will have to face the situation of the data breach. The tested and unified response plan should be implemented effectively to deal with the increasing malware attacks.
Promote the security culture
In the opinion of Kumari (2014), it is important to communicate that a single mistake of one employee can lead to the major security problem for the security of an organization. That is why every employee is required to work in the group and do not communicate any security-related information to outsiders.
After summing up the entire information, it can be concluded that the researcher can successfully conduct the study if the appropriate process has been followed. The material contained in this paper provides the proper information about the topic and an aim to start the study along with the scope and objectives related to the topic. The paper also provides the analysis and review of the existing literature related to mobile computing along with the detailed analyses of opportunities, advantages, and challenges that can be faced by an organization using mobile computing in the business. The paper also investigates the concepts of security of Mobile Cloud Computing or MCC, challenging breaching threats and security issues, use of existing and emerging issues and finally the solutions that may help in increasing the security to an organization. The information provided in this paper is based on the general review of all types of organizations and not on the basis of a particular industry or organization. The paper also develops a view that to attain maximum security in the mobile computing environment, an organization needs to access and study the threats and plan the security measures accordingly.
- Bal, S.N., 2013. Mobile web–enterprise application advantages. International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing, 2(2), pp.36-40.
- Cui, Y., Ma, X., Wang, H., Stojmenovic, I. and Liu, J. (2013) A survey of energy efficient wireless transmission and modeling in mobile cloud computing. Mobile Networks and Applications, 18(1), pp.148-155.
- Currie, C., 2013. Impact of mobile computing: anticipating the effects on the campus. Planning for Higher Education, 41(2), p.169.
- Eshet, E. and Bouwman, H. (2015) Addressing the Context of Use in Mobile Computing: a Survey on the State of the Practice. Interacting with Computers, 27(4), pp.392-412.
- Gikas, J. and Grant, M.M. (2013) Mobile computing devices in higher education: Student perspectives on learning with cell phones, smartphones & social media. The Internet and Higher Education,19(1), pp.18-26.
- Kim, C., Park, T., Lim, H. and Kim, H. (2013) On-site construction management using mobile computing technology. Automation in construction,35(1), pp.415-423.
- Kumari, K.B., 2014. Challenging Issues and Limitations of Mobile Computing. Compusoft, 3(2), p.554.
- Mitra, K., Zaslavsky, A. and Åhlund, C., (2015). Context-aware QoE modeling, measurement, and prediction in mobile computing systems. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 14(5), pp.920-936.
- Pejovic, V. and Musolesi, M. (2015) Anticipatory mobile computing: A survey of the state of the art and research challenges. ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), 47(3), p.47.
- Qi, H. and Gani, A., 2012, May. Research on mobile cloud computing: Review, trend and perspectives. In Digital Information and Communication Technology and it's Applications (DICTAP), 2012 Second International Conference on(pp. 195-202).
- Rahimi, M.R., Ren, J., Liu, C.H., Vasilakos, A.V. and Venkatasubramanian, N. (2014) Mobile cloud computing: A survey, state of art and future directions. Mobile Networks and Applications, 19(2), pp.133-143.
- Shiraz, M., Ahmed, E., Gani, A. and Han, Q. (2014) Investigation of runtime partitioning of elastic mobile applications for mobile cloud computing. The Journal of Supercomputing, 67(1), pp.84-103.
- Vittapu, M.S., Sunkari, V., Abate, A.Y. and Sreenivas, N., 2015. A proposed solution to secure MCC uprising issue and challenges in the domain of cyber security. Open Journal of Mobile Computing and Cloud Computing, 2(1), pp.19-33.
- Wang, Y., Chen, R. and Wang, D.C. (2015) A survey of mobile cloud computing applications: perspectives and challenges. Wireless Personal Communications,80(4), pp.1607-1623.
- Xue, C.T.S. and Xin, F.T.W., 2016. Benefits and Challenges of the Adoption of Cloud Computing in Business. International Journal on Cloud Computing: Services and Architecture (IJCCSA), 6(6), pp. 1-15.
- Yang, S., Kwon, D., Yi, H., Cho, Y., Kwon, Y. and Paek, Y. (2014) Techniques to minimize state transfer costs for dynamic execution offloading in mobile cloud computing. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing,13(11), pp.2648-2660.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2020). Challenges And Opportunities Of Mobile Computing In Business Operations. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hi6008-mobile-computing-in-business-performance.
"Challenges And Opportunities Of Mobile Computing In Business Operations." My Assignment Help, 2020, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hi6008-mobile-computing-in-business-performance.
My Assignment Help (2020) Challenges And Opportunities Of Mobile Computing In Business Operations [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hi6008-mobile-computing-in-business-performance
[Accessed 29 February 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Challenges And Opportunities Of Mobile Computing In Business Operations' (My Assignment Help, 2020) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hi6008-mobile-computing-in-business-performance> accessed 29 February 2024.
My Assignment Help. Challenges And Opportunities Of Mobile Computing In Business Operations [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2020 [cited 29 February 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hi6008-mobile-computing-in-business-performance.