Attributes of Learning
Apply your definition of learning to explain learning of Rianna (vignette 1) and Carl and Sofia (vignette 2) in the two vignettes below.
Rianna, a 13-year-old Aboriginal girl, attends a rural district high school. Both Rianna and her teacher report that she has poor literacy skills and is a quiet students, reluctant to contribute to classroom discussions. English is her first language, but she seems to make more grammatical errors than her Year 7 classmates. Mr. Care, her teacher, was not sure how much of the instruction she understood and her assignments indicated that she was falling further and further behind. He contributes her behaviours to lack of ability but is not sure what to do and consults the school counsellor.
After talking with Mr. Care and meeting with Rianna, the school counsellor contacted Rianna’s parents and suggested that she would complete some assessments with Rianna. One was an individually administed intelligence test. On the basis of the tests, the school counsellor eliminated aptitude as a potential source of Rianna’s problems. “Rianna is definitely capable of doing better work,” she commented to Mr. Care. They agreed to meet again and consider other alternatives.
Mr. Havland had a 20-year old European map hanging on the wall. As Carl looked at the map, he thought it looked familiar. “Yeah, there is England, France, Germany and Russia. And there’s Yugoslavia where Goran’s grandparents come from.”
Next to him Sofia, whose family was partly English and partly Greek and had travelled all over Europe, was also looking at the map, but with a look of disbelief. “How old is this map?” she thought. “Look at Yugoslavia, it doesn’t exist anymore. Where is Brussels in this one. That was a fun place.”
After a few minutes, Mr. Havland began. “Okay, everyone. It is important to have some idea of the geography of Europe because geography reflects an important idea that we will return to again and again.” With that he wrote on the whiteboard:
The history of Europe reflects a tension between nationalism and intercountry cooperation, such as the adoption of a common currency, the Euro.
He continued, “As you have already noticed, the face of Europe is continually changing. The Europe of today is very different from what you see in this map, and changes happened only a few years ago.”
As he was talking, he noticed a few nods but more blank looks. Sofia sat knowingly while Carl thought, “what is he talking about? Nationalism, euro? What is this?”
Attributes of Learning
The following report is a brief study about different functional aspects that are related to the learning system. As compared to the systems and cultures that are associated with the learning processes and functioning, it can be stated that learning generally means obtaining new and innovative mode of knowledge, preferences, along with certain standards and skills. The major capability to learn is basically influenced by humans, animals including some from form of machines in the real world. Several, prospective of learning activity and methods are also performed on certain plants in order to gain and gather core knowledge and information about the same.
The operational aspects that are related to the learning function is categorized under two heads, the first part can be the learning based on one single event. On the other hand knowledge and ideas can be acquired and gained on the basis of repeated experiences. The key objective of the report is to understand the critical attributes associated with the learning process along with bringing a comparison of the same with the vignettes provided in the form certain situations.
As compared to the learning process that is related to the individual behavior, this function can be characterized under five basic heads. Some of the major characteristics that are associated with the learning function and behavior are mentioned below.
- The first process of learning involves being active, it includes the system of influencing and engaging discussions, objects and skills for the purpose of building several aspects that are related to the word on a mental basis. The process of knowledge is built among the learners as they try to explore the actual world and situations around them, this can be done under three aspects. The first process is when they get connected with new ideas and try to understand them and the second part is based on the conversations and engagement made with other (Sebba, Byers & Rose, 2018). On the other hand the third part is related to the process of engagement and interaction done and made upon respective phenomena.
- The learning process helps to build and develop knowledge on a prior basis, under this respective part the learner is able to adopt innovative features and ideas on the existing knowledge and understandings gained by them in order to demonstrate constructive measures of learning in the future.
- Learning occurs under complex situations and social environmental basis, from this respective part it is understandable that instead of acquiring and gaining knowledge on an individual basis, it is important to think and understand the method of learning as an activity on a social basis by connecting people in to the process (Anderson, 2016). This can be based on the particular entity they use, the cultural aspects that are associated with them where it can be easier to build the knowledge through getting involved among the members for an activity.
- The functional aspects of learning makes the learners to remain more authentic, where this respective process helps them in developing systematic ideas and innovative concepts among them (Sebba, Byers & Rose, 2018). This ideas and concepts can be based on the process of what are required to be learned and what can be essentially to be learned basis.
- The learning process requires motivation among learners along with the process of developing engagement based on a cognitive basis.
As compared to the critical attributes that are associated with the learning function, the definition clearly states that the learning process is considered to be the method which happens on the basis of changes that are caused to the core elements within the internal environment (Abele et al., 2015). This respective process cannot be under control of individual behavior on all terms. Learning as a part of knowledge is considered to be the system and processes that happen within the external environment which give more emphasis under the area of connecting abundant information among the learners. This enables to learn and understand more ideas as compared to the current state of knowledge.
Critical attributes of learning are more detailed and capture different points of view of the communicator. Thus, the learning becomes more dynamic and radical which makes the learning process more inclusive and effective.
According to the definition of learning, the key area of understanding regarding the non-critical attributes of learning can be on the basis of, the process and functional aspects that are associated to the learning method involves the procedure and approaches of gaining innovative knowledge and proficiency under core areas which requires flow of information and understanding on a systematic basis (Xu et al., 2018).
Critical and Non-Critical Attributes
Non critical attributes are mainly used in sharing information with the subordinates where later do not need to go in depth understanding of the message. The non-critical attribution of learning consists of non-critical information which must be served without any further analysis.
Individual Differences in learning
As compared to the learning systems and standards, it can be understandable that the functional aspects that are related to the process of individual differences are found and are related to all psychological characteristics which are based on the physical mental capabilities, personality, knowledge and other character qualities (Anderson, 2016). According to a teacher, the first and foremost initiative that is required to be adopted must be to study and make understand the factors that are associated with the individual differences among their pupils. Some of the major types of individual differences are mentioned below.
- The first part that is related to the individual difference based on physical appearance. Some of the characteristics of the same involve height; fairness and other features that are associated with the individuals define the process of individual differences among them.
- The other major feature can be the differences that are based on the intelligence level. As compared to a particular individual the intelligence level may vary from person to person (Abele et al., 2015). Under this respective part, a classification of the individual on the intelligence level can be made from normal stage (IQ above 120)to idiotic level (IQ ranging from 0 to 50).
- The key area that is related to the system of individual differences can be on the difference in the method of attitudes and achievements of an individual. The features that are associated with the attitudes of the individual may demonstrate a different appearance among different people, authority and objects. In the real world it is a proved fact that, as per the characteristics that are related to the individual their achievement abilities and skills may differ from one level to another. Most of the factors that are associated with the respective differences can be under the area of writing techniques, reading methods and learning capabilities.
Some of the major and core difficulties that are associated with the learning function and process are mentioned below.
- The first factor that is related to the features of difficulties associated with the learning process is Dyslexia (Bjork & Kroll, 2015). The key consequences that are based on the respective process are the problems faced under the decoding part. In schools the children with the issue of dyslexia can lack confidence and ability compared to others where they may face issues in the area of writing, reading and note taking and memorizing the required information.
- The other factor is related to the consequences and difficulties faced on attention. The key reason under the respective issue can be ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). In schools the children facing the particular problem may have weak control on impulse, remain nervous and provide work ion an inappropriate basis (Bjork & Kroll, 2015).
- Dysgraphia is the other reason that is connected with the difficulties of learning (Xu et al., 2018). Some of the major features that are related to the respective problem can be where in schools the children struggle under the area of delivering strong and effective conceptual writing. They face discrepancies under the area of understanding along with complications that are related to stress and frustrations.
As per the readings made from vignettes 1, it is understandable that the school girl Rianna was facing issues in understanding the English language where she made grammatical errors and took long time to write and complete the class work as compared to other peers. Here, according to the major difficulties that are associated with the functional aspects of learning, it can be stated that the major issue faced by the respective student is under the area of decoding the mentioned information which is due to the problem caused by Dyslexia.
According to the studies and learning’s derived from vignettes 2, it is understandable that Sofia was facing the issue of spatial analysis disability. Under this respective part, people face issues in understanding the core factors which are related to the geographical terms especially knowledge that are associated with maps.
In conclusion it can be stated that, cultures that are associated with the learning processes and functioning, it can be stated that learning generally means obtaining new and innovative mode of knowledge, preferences, along with certain standards and skills. The major capability to learn is basically influenced by humans, animals including some from form of machines in the real world. Several, prospective of learning activity and methods are also performed on certain plants in order to gain and gather core knowledge and information about the same. As compared to the learning systems and standards, it can be understandable that the functional aspects that are related to the process of individual differences are found and are related to all psychological characteristics which are based on the physical mental capabilities, personality, knowledge and other character qualities. There are also several problems and consequences faced under the learning function, such as the issue of Dysgraphia, Dyslexia, ADD and many other.
Abele, E., Metternich, J., Tisch, M., Chryssolouris, G., Sihn, W., ElMaraghy, H., ... & Ranz, F. (2015). Learning factories for research, education, and training. Procedia CiRp, 32, 1-6.
Anderson, T. (2016). Theories for learning with emerging technologies. Emergence and innovation in digital learning: Foundations and applications, 35-50.
Bjork, R. A., & Kroll, J. F. (2015). Desirable difficulties in vocabulary learning. The American journal of psychology, 128(2), 241.
Sebba, J., Byers, R., & Rose, R. (2018). Redefining the whole curriculum for pupils with learning difficulties. Routledge.
Xu, X., Payne, S. C., Horner, M. T., & Alexander, A. L. (2016). Individual difference predictors of perceived organizational change fairness. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 31(2), 420-433.