Need to do research on the given topic by reading recent (2015 onwards) research titles (journal articles, conference papers and books).
Topic: Augmented Reality
Report: The report must contain the following sections:
- Introduction: A brief introduction to the topic
- Description: A complete description of the allocated topic that must answer the following questions clearly:
- How does it work?
- Why is it required?
- What are its weaknesses and strengths?
- How it is being used by businesses?
- Ethical Issues: Any ethical issues that may arise due to the use of such systems
- Conclusion: Must summarise the most important parts of the report and provide
Advantages of Augmented Reality
Augmented Reality has been one of the most highly evaluated technology in today’s society. Augmented Reality interlinks virtual as well as the real world protocols in order to increase the level of immersion in the commencement of the project. Implementation of Augmented Reality has been increasing in a very rapid rate. Surgery and inspection of hazardous environment has been using Augmented Reality with high intensity. Reason of requirement of Augmented Reality is also stated in this report. Weaknesses and strengths are also stated in this report. Applications of Augmented Reality will also be stated.
Functional process of Augmented Reality are as follows: -
- SLAM: SLAM (Simultaneous Localization and Mapping) is considered to be one of the most efficient technique to implement augmented reality in a device. With the help of the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping helps in interlinking of the real world with virtual world. Simultaneous Localization and Mapping has localized sensors that helps in better correlate with their surrounding with respect to the prosecution system that is present in the augmented reality implementation (Amin and Govilkar 2015). Simultaneous Localization and Mapping is generally used for resolving complex issues related to augmented reality. Simultaneous Localization and Mapping is not an algorithm or software but is a problem resolving technique. Augmented reality kits have started providing Simultaneous Localization and Mapping based development kits along with the device itself for better functioning of the system.
- Recognition based: Recognition based augmented reality imbibes the aspect that the management of the augmented reality is done on the basis of camera system that is present in the projection of the device. Recognition based augmented reality helps in understanding the QR code. With the help of understanding the QR code the natural face tracking gets easier. Natural augmented reality is completely dependent on the camera of the devices (Westerfield, Mitrovic and Billinghurst 2015). 3D version can be performed with the help of the angles that will form better understanding of the better camera detected images.
- Location based: In contrast to the recognition based tracking in case of location based tracking the entire system is performed with the help of GPS tracking. This ensures the fact that the management of the project gets commenced with the help of the digital compass, velocity meter and accelerometer that provides better understanding of the location of the device and functions in accord to that (Liao and Humphreys 2015). With the inclusion of location detection technique present in smart phones indulge the fact that the detection aspect of augmented reality gets managed in a better manner.
Reasons of requiring Augmented Reality are as follows: -
- Individualized learning: With the help of the augmented reality the main advantage that is present is direct and personalize interaction with the clients. Augmented reality increases the socialization of each and every stakeholders of the business organizations. In case the personalized interaction is performed bonding in between the internal and external stakeholders of the business organization that implements augmented reality
- Creation of scenarios that are otherwise impossible: Creation of abstract scenario with the help of the virtual and augmented reality must be performed. With the help of the augmented reality scenarios that might arise in recent future can be estimated. This enrolls the aspect that better management of the output estimation can also be done with the help of the augmented reality
- Focusing on practical approach over theoretical approach: In today’s society the main essence that is present is the tutorials that are provided to the students must be performed with higher integrity and better demonstration. The experience that is provided to the online learners with the help of augmented reality is proficient in nature (Yilmaz 2016.). This is one of the main reason that better learning of the project is performed
- Boosting Return of Interest: with inclusion of augmented reality, business organization foresees the benefit that will be received. It is estimated that a hike of 34% of clients can be expected. Despite the fact that with inclusion of the augmented reality, turn-over earned in a year is affected in an indirect manner.
Strengths of Augmented Reality are as follows: -
- Augmented Reality is very efficient in nature. The operation of augmented reality is performed by interlinking simultaneous real time environment with each other
- The gap in between the real world and virtual world is reduced.
- Increase in commencement of the perception is performed. Interaction probation can be performed with the help of augmented reality. Information about historical sites can be gained. Virtual representation of the historic sites in accord to the remaining is also one of the main strengths of Augmented reality
- Augmented reality helps in improving the data adding system. Improving of data adding system helps in provisioning of security and increases time efficiency in completion of the project. Augmented reality helps in better structuring the position of the data
Weaknesses of Augmented Reality are as follows: -
- Social Rejection: Google glass is a prime example of such techno gadgets getting rejected by the global audience due to the inappropriate sizing of the gadget. It is not expected that most of the people will use this technology (Huang, Chen and Chou 2016).
- Poor Experience: The concept of augmented reality is really high end but the execution of the project is seldom up to the level of expectation. It is seen that in most of the cases the visual resolution that is provided is poor in nature, which reduces the efficiency of the product.
Applications of Augmented Reality are as follows: -
- Medical: Augmented Realty plays a very important role in medical sector. Implementation of real time in situ visualization is co-registered (Akçay?r and Akçay?r 2017). A tracked head mounted display in the commencement of the project incurs the terminology that the interface viewpoint. Implementation of the X-ray visioning must be performed with the help of the brain computer interface.
- Military: Augmented Reality is used for displaying the real time battle field scenarios in the projection of annotation information. HMD is prosecuted with the management of the Liteye for military usage. Hybrid optical tracker as well as the internal tracker will ensure miniature visionary of micro electro-mechanical system. Training of military in urban terrain is also another implementation of augmented reality.
- Robotics: augmented reality is the best example of human robot interaction. Medical robotics is one of the most important aspect that is needed to be considered. With the help of medical robotics head surgery can be performed (Billinghurst, Clark and Lee 2015). Visualizing of the robot inputs is considered to be one of the major benefit that is gained from augmented reality in the field of robotics.
- Education: Education field is also very highly benefitted from the technology of augmented reality. Complex spatial relationships are established with the help of implementation of augmented reality in the field of Education. Interaction with two and three dimensional synthetic objects is done. These facilities that are enjoyed due to the implementation of the augmented reality
Ethical Issues of Augmented Reality are as follows: -
- Facial Recognition issues: Implementation of augmented reality ensures the fact that the commencement of the ethical issues. Ethical issues that are present in the commencement of the project includes developers being suspect of facial recognition in an unauthenticated manner (Javornik 2016). With introduction of applications validation of security occurs. Robustness of the applications have been decreasing
- Mental and Social side effects
With an increase in the usage of augmented reality socialization of individuals have been decreasing in a very rapid rate. Social Isolation has been one of the main issue that can be considered as ethical issue of using Augmented Reality. This might even increase depression of individuals.
- Positive reputation exploitation
With an increase in usage of smart phones in today’s society, mutual trust of clients have been very high on the devices. This deals with the aspect that it gets easier for the imposters to gain data from the mobile devices. In case the augmented reality is not robust in nature gaining private data gets easy.
Due to novelty of the project that are present in the system the main concern that is present includes the fact that the persuasive elements are not always obvious. In case the user is unaware of the persuasive attempts then the user will not be capable enough to understand the willing attempt to log in in the device.
From the above discussion it can be concluded that the augmented reality is one of the most expanding and developing technology. Implementation of augmented reality has been getting affected in an efficient manner. With the help of augmented reality the main advantage that is enjoyed includes betterment of technology in the field of medical science, military, marketing and education. The technological advancement in this field helps in increasing the computing vision as well as the wireless technology. This process helps in supporting the complex analysis and decision making of the project. This report will discuss about the functional process that is to be performed for implementation of the Augmented Reality. Despite these advantages that are present in the functioning of the augmented reality, there are several disadvantages present as well.
Some factors need to be considered while implementing augmented reality in workplace, few recommendations on this had been mentioned below
- Extending monitoring of social media to the augmented reality platforms: an organization should leverage as well as extend the present social media policies and monitoring to the platforms of augmented reality.
- Considering how augmented reality can improve business: diagnostics, marketing and training are the three areas which has very strong potential.
- Reviewing the governance framework and update the policies: the incorporation of augmented reality as a part of business in the organizational policies as well as procedures which include privacy policies and bring your own device (BYOD)
- Build security in every part of process: security is the vital component that must be considered during the initiation of augmented reality which helps in ensuring confident in information.
Akçay?r, M. and Akçay?r, G., 2017. Advantages and challenges associated with augmented reality for education: A systematic review of the literature. Educational Research Review, 20, pp.1-11.
Amin, D. and Govilkar, S., 2015. Comparative study of augmented reality SDKs. International Journal on Computational Science & Applications, 5(1), pp.11-26.
Barfield, W., 2015. Fundamentals of wearable computers and augmented reality. CRC Press.
Billinghurst, M., Clark, A. and Lee, G., 2015. A survey of augmented reality. Foundations and Trends® in Human–Computer Interaction, 8(2-3), pp.73-272.
Chen, P., Liu, X., Cheng, W. and Huang, R., 2017. A review of using Augmented Reality in Education from 2011 to 2016. In Innovations in Smart Learning (pp. 13-18). Springer, Singapore.
Huang, T.C., Chen, C.C. and Chou, Y.W., 2016. Animating eco-education: To see, feel, and discover in an augmented reality-based experiential learning environment. Computers & Education, 96, pp.72-82.
Javornik, A., 2016. Augmented reality: Research agenda for studying the impact of its media characteristics on consumer behaviour. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 30, pp.252-261.
Jung, T., Chung, N. and Leue, M.C., 2015. The determinants of recommendations to use augmented reality technologies: The case of a Korean theme park. Tourism management, 49, pp.75-86.
Liao, T. and Humphreys, L., 2015. Layar-ed places: Using mobile augmented reality to tactically reengage, reproduce, and reappropriate public space. New Media & Society, 17(9), pp.1418-1435.
Scholz, J. and Smith, A.N., 2016. Augmented reality: Designing immersive experiences that maximize consumer engagement. Business Horizons, 59(2), pp.149-161.
Westerfield, G., Mitrovic, A. and Billinghurst, M., 2015. Intelligent augmented reality training for motherboard assembly. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 25(1), pp.157-172.
Yilmaz, R.M., 2016. Educational magic toys developed with augmented reality technology for early childhood education. Computers in Human Behavior, 54, pp.240-248
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2020). Augmented Reality Essay: Advantages, Challenges, Process, Applications, And Ethics.. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ict100-foundations-of-information-systems.
"Augmented Reality Essay: Advantages, Challenges, Process, Applications, And Ethics.." My Assignment Help, 2020, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ict100-foundations-of-information-systems.
My Assignment Help (2020) Augmented Reality Essay: Advantages, Challenges, Process, Applications, And Ethics. [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ict100-foundations-of-information-systems
[Accessed 22 February 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Augmented Reality Essay: Advantages, Challenges, Process, Applications, And Ethics.' (My Assignment Help, 2020) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ict100-foundations-of-information-systems> accessed 22 February 2024.
My Assignment Help. Augmented Reality Essay: Advantages, Challenges, Process, Applications, And Ethics. [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2020 [cited 22 February 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ict100-foundations-of-information-systems.