Write a business report based on the following:
A group of 5 holiday resorts have decided to merge their operations to in order to deliver better value to the customers as well as to increase their profits. The new Group named Monet now incorporates a wide range of living quarters (backpacker, bed & breakfast homes to luxurious suites) all around Australia. It provides alternatives to popular holiday booking web sites such as booking.com, travel.com.au etc. and enables customers to book directly. They expect the Bookings to be managed via a single web site only (with a complementary mobile app included) with prices varying dynamically based on the demand, seasonal factors etc.
Senior management has finalised on the following decisions:
1. A customer loyalty scheme called MonetLoyalty will reward customers with airport transfers, free tours and free meals.
2. Interactive tools will be developed in order to allow to customers to choose, which particular tours they would like to undertake.
3. An integrated ERP Solution is to be developed in order to enable management of the operation through a single IT system.
4. A new ‘’Web 4.0 –level’’ ultra-intelligent electronic portal is to be created enable customers to self-manage their accounts with the company and to customize their shopping/booking experience.
Write a business report outlining the above case, stating assumptions you make at the beginning of your report. Provide critique into the management decisions substantiating with reference to literature. In your report, make the difference between Information Systems (IS) and Information Technology (IT) issues and how it will affect customer choice, continued patronage, brand loyalty, etc. Suggest how to attract new customers (from competitors) and any other new business opportunities that may arise with such a set up (eg. technological services on site, personalised automated tour guide, etc.).
be able to critique management processes and involvement in planning for Information Systems and Information Technology in an organisation;
be able to identify and co-relate emerging technology issues in management and provide a short balanced analysis report.
Decisions Confirmed by Management
Business units in the current times are collaborating with each other to make sure that they provide the desired and demanded services to the customers. A similar decision has been taken by five different holiday resorts that have decided to operate as one single unit. The decision has been taken to meet the customer expectations in a better way and to experience increased profits. A new business unit called Monet will now operate from Australia which will provide varied range of living quarters, such as, rooms for backpackers, bed & breakfast stay options, luxurious suites etc. to the customers. The booking of these stays will be operational through a single web site accompanied by a complementary mobile application.
The report highlights the decisions that are taken up by the management, IT & IS issues, business strategy and new set of opportunities.
- MonetLoyalty is a customer loyalty and relationship programme that would be implemented which would include additional set of services to be provided to the privileged customers who will sign up for this programme. The services will include transfers from the airport, free tours and meals (Orlitzky, 2015).
- Interactive tools will be designed and implemented for the customers to make sure that they understand various services offered to them along with the better selection of the tours (McBurney, 2015).
- Business activities and operations will be managed by an ERP solution that will be developed to provide and enable an integrated approach.
- The customers will be provided with a Web 4.0 enabled portal that would allow them to manage their accounts and carry out the booking services and operations on their own.
- The five holiday resorts that will come together to set up Monet have agreed upon the terms of services and a formal contract has been created and signed by all.
- The business cases and requirements that need to be included in the web site has been finalized.
- The sharing and distribution of the revenues and profits has been agreed upon by all the five parties (Popp, 2017).
- The budget and expenses required for the project have been allocated and the same will be adhered to.
- The schedule is in place and the same will be followed during the project.
Technology has numerous components and elements that are present within its umbrella. Two of the components of technology are Information Technology (IT) and Information System (IS). IT and IS are the two components that are mostly assumed to have the same meaning and are also used in an inter-exchangeable manner.
The two terms have a different meaning, definition and concept altogether. Information System (IS) is a component of technology that is concerned with the maintenance of the availability and quality of the information in a particular environment. In a particular information set, there are various types of operations that take place in the form of processing, updates, storage, retrieval, backups etc. The issues that crop up during the management of the information and the related operations come under the umbrella of IS issues and problems (El-Awad, 2017).
The operations related to the technical infrastructure along with its maintenance and services are included under IT. The use of different technological concepts, their management and integration along with implementation and maintenance is included in the umbrella of IT. The issues related with any such infrastructural component is included in the umbrella of the IT issues and problems (Bruni, 2014).
There are many IS issues and problems that Monet may face.
- The web site and mobile application that will be developed and deployed for Monet may suffer from many information and database related issues.
- Confidentiality Attacks
The information related with Monet may be compromised on the parameter of its confidentiality with the execution of many of the attacks. These may include breaching of the data and information sets along with their loss or leakage.
- Integrity Attacks
The attackers may also alter the information attributes and its contents leading to the violation of the integrity (Chasserio, 2014).
- Availability Attacks
There may be various forms of flooding attacks that may take place which may lead to the negative implications on the availability of the information and data sets and the associated services.
- The quality standards and the set of best practices may not be followed which may cause performance related issues.
- Monet will have many stakeholders associated with it, such as, five holiday resorts and their representatives, customers, employees, etc. Miscommunication of ineffective communication may also cause various reliability and privacy issues.
With the involvement and occurrence of the IS issues that have been listed and described above, there may be negative implications that may be observed in correspondence with the customers. The customers prefer uninterrupted and smooth services provided by the vendors and service owners. In case of the occurrence of any of the above issue, the service continuity may badly suffer which may lead to poor customer experience. This may have an impact on the customer engagement and feedback as well leading to poor revenues and brand reputation in the market.
Set of Assumptions
StayTogether will be associated with many IT issues and these issues may have varying degree of consequences as well.
- Electronic portal and mobile application that will be created for Monet will involve many technical tools for the execution and maintenance of activities at the front end and at the back end. These tools may suffer from technical fault or error which may have an impact on the service continuity or operations (Antunes, 2014).
- Compatibility issues among the different sub-systems and components may be observed which may lead to the issues with integration of the services and the required collaboration as well (Secundo, 2017).
The occurrence of the IT issues that have been listed and described above, there may be negative implications that may be observed in correspondence with the customers. The customers prefer uninterrupted and smooth services provided by the vendors and service owners. In case of the occurrence of any of the above issue, the service continuity may badly suffer which may lead to poor customer experience. This may have an impact on the customer engagement and feedback as well leading to poor revenues and brand reputation in the market (Fengel, 2014).
The five holiday resorts that are involved in the setting up of Monet will have their respective customer base associated with them. However, with the set up of a new business unit, some of the customers may no longer have the same level of trust or engagement. It would be necessary to retain the existing set of customers associated with every individual holiday resort involved in Monet. Also, any business unit can flourish and achieve its business goals only when it has a string customer base linked with it. There are mechanisms that will be required to be followed to retain existing customers and to attract new customers as well. Some of the strategies are as described below.
- With the launch of Monet in the market, there will be many of the users that may not be already linked with the business set-up. In order to bring them along and maintain their engagement, they shall be provided with attractive offers and deals for registering with the business unit. These deals may be in the form of excessive discounts for the first time users, reward points on next booking etc.
- Marketing and advertising has become a necessity in the present day businesses due to the presence of enhanced competition in the market. The same goes true for Monet as well. The customers must be made aware about the unique and exciting offers provided by Monet which may make them attracted towards the business unit. There are several marketing mediums that are being used with social media marketing and networking on top of the charts. Monet must set up a dedicated social media handling and advertising team that must regularly post on the social media accounts with services being offered by Monet. There shall also be contests that must be announced on these platforms so that customers participate in the same and the customer base is expanded.
- Market analysis has become a necessity to make sure that the latest trends and patterns in the market are known. The strategies that the organizations create and implement are also based upon these analysis results. In case of Monet, the same shall be followed by making use automated analysis tools for capturing and analyzing the data collected from the different sources in the market. This will provide the latest information in terms of the customer demands, activities being offered by the competitors etc (Wamba, 2017).
- The holiday resorts that a business unit must provide shall include the options for all the categories of the travelers include backpackers, couples, families etc. There shall be low to high budget options available for the customers to choose from. The strategies that are designed shall also be based upon the traveler groups and categories so the demands of all the customers get fulfilled.
- Secure payments are something that the customers look out for while availing services or offers from any of the web based business unit. The website of Monet must offer varied options for online payments and must also include safety mechanisms like Safepay or any other utility to win the customer trust.
- During a festive season or a promotional deal, the customers must be informed about the offer by sending emails and messages to them. This will create popularity among the customers and the customers may spread the word about the offerings to their friends and families (Brocke, 2014).
Monet is a business unit that comes under the category of travel and tourism business sector that is a huge industry. There are several organizations and agencies that come under this industry that are offering amazing services to the customers. Monet must make sure that it continues to explore the new offers that it may provide to the customers and new opportunities that it may explore. This will lead to the enhancement of the customer base and increase in profits.
- The holiday rooms and places to stay that are booked by the customers shall also suggest them the places to visit in and around the city that they will be traveling to, best modes of transport that they may use and also an option to create a customer itinerary shall also be provided.
- In case of an individual or group travel, one of the mandatory necessities is transportation. Monet must provide airport transfers along with an option to arrange or book the desired mode of transport through the web site. The customers will then experience and gain all of their travel needs at one place only (Giudice, 2016).
- The customer patterns and their behavior may change frequently. They must be provided with their desired services and requirements and the same would be possible only by having an idea of their demands. This would be achieved by use of analytics tools.
- The customers that make use of the website and the services offered by Monet at frequent intervals must be provided with additional offers and discounts to make sure their engagement with Monet is maintained (Ferretti, 2016). These offers may be in the form of additional reward points or free meals etc.
There are many new changes and modifications that are being executed in the travel industry with the popular ideas of solo travels, corporate travels etc. The travel service providers in the present time must adapt to the popular and newer ideas that are in trends. The offerings shall be made accordingly and the element of innovation shall always be maintained so that the customers always have something new to experience.
Monet is a business collaboration that has been decided to be implemented by five different holiday resorts. The primary idea of this business set up is to earn better profits and provide better services to the customers. There are various initiatives that are being taken up by the management in the form of loyalty programmes, discount officer, interactive tools etc. The business decision may bring up many benefits to the associated parties and there may also be certain challenges involved. There may be certain IS and IT issues that will be required to be dealt with in the form of security attacks, technical failures, integration and compatibility issues etc. The management at Monet must take up administrative and technical controls to avoid these issues. There are efforts that must be done by the management to attract new customers and maintain the engagement of existing and new customers. It shall include better strategy and decision making as per customer expectations and demands. Enhanced social media marketing, discounts and deals, use of data analytics etc. shall be done for the purpose. There shall also be newer business cases and tasks that must be taken up to expand the business services and operations.
Antunes, A. (2014). MUVE IT: reduce the friction in business processes, 20(4), 571-597. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-07-2013-0093
Brocke, J. (2014). Ten principles of good business process management, 20(4), 530-548. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-06-2013-0074
Bruni, A. (2014). Entrepreneuring together: his and her stories. International Journal Of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 20(2), 108-127. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-12-2011-0187
Chasserio, S. (2014). When entrepreneurial identity meets multiple social identities: Interplays and identity work of women entrepreneurs, 20(2), 128-154. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-11-2011-0157
El-Awad, Z. (2017). Entrepreneurial learning and innovation: The critical role of team-level learning for the evolution of innovation capabilities in technology-based ventures, 23(3), 381-405. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-06-2016-0177
Fengel, J. (2014). Semantic technologies for aligning heterogeneous business process models, 20(4), 549-570. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-07-2013-0085
Ferretti, M. (2016). Internet of Things and business processes redesign in seaports: The case of Hamburg, 22(2). https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-05-2015-0079
Giudice, M. (2016). Discovering the Internet of Things (IoT) within the business process management: A literature review on technological revitalization, 22(2), 263-270. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-12-2015-0173
McBurney, P. (2015). The Knowledge Engineering Review. Retrieved from https://www-cambridge-org.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/core/journals/knowledge-engineering-review
Orlitzky, M. (2015). The politics of corporate social responsibility or: why Milton Friedman has been right all along, 1(1), 5-29. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ASR-06-2015-0004
Popp, A. (2017). Enterprise & Society. Retrieved from https://www-cambridge-org.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/core/journals/enterprise-and-society
Secundo, G. (2017). Entrepreneurial learning dynamics in knowledge-intensive enterprises, 23(3), 366-380. https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-01-2017-0020
Wamba, S. (2017). Big data analytics and business process innovation. Business Process Management, 23(3). https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-02-2017-0046
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2021). Business Report On Monet: A Group Of 5 Holiday Resorts Merger. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/itc563-it-management-issues/strategies-and-mechanisms.html.
"Business Report On Monet: A Group Of 5 Holiday Resorts Merger." My Assignment Help, 2021, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/itc563-it-management-issues/strategies-and-mechanisms.html.
My Assignment Help (2021) Business Report On Monet: A Group Of 5 Holiday Resorts Merger [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/itc563-it-management-issues/strategies-and-mechanisms.html
[Accessed 22 February 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Business Report On Monet: A Group Of 5 Holiday Resorts Merger' (My Assignment Help, 2021) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/itc563-it-management-issues/strategies-and-mechanisms.html> accessed 22 February 2024.
My Assignment Help. Business Report On Monet: A Group Of 5 Holiday Resorts Merger [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2021 [cited 22 February 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/itc563-it-management-issues/strategies-and-mechanisms.html.