1. Describe the events which happened that resulted in the filing of the grievance and identify the type of grievance the manager has received. (to be in paragraph form)
• Be creative in describing a set of facts for the situation that resulted in the grievance. It must involve a situation of a very serious nature where termination of the employee is justified. Examples of very serious behaviour: fighting, fraud (falsifying an expense record), theft or misuse of the employer's computers (ex. to access gambling websites). Include in the description: what occurred, who witnessed the situation, when the situation occurred, where the situation occurred and the action taken by the manager when they discovered the situation.
• Describe the type of workplace grievance the manager has received.
2. Outline the responsibilities of the manager and of the HR advisor in handing these grievances. Specifically: (can be written bullet form)
• The role of the manager and their responsibilities.
• The role of HR and their responsibilities.
3. Outline the advice you will provide to the manager on the steps they need to take to respond to the grievances. Specifically, on these three steps: (can be written in bullet form)
• Meeting with the grievor and union representative. Included in the advice is the purpose of the meeting; how to conduct the meeting; the timeliness of the meeting and what will be the next steps the manager will take after the meeting.
• The investigation and gathering of the information. Included in the advice is who the manager should speak to; key elements to investigate (Who? What? Where? When? Why? Plus How?); timeliness, thoroughness and gathering relevant documents. Please include five questions that the manager should ask in the investigation. Note: tailor the advice based on the situation you described in point
• The preparation of the grievance response. Included in the advice is what should be included in the response and who to seek advice from in preparing the response. You are required to prepare a draft letter of response to share with the manager.