To achieve my aim, I need to launch an event in the school auditorium for 3 months from April to July 2017 to promote various aspect of healthy eating amongst school children, to run once a week, involving fun day activities around food which will be conducted by volunteering nutritionist and physical fitness trainer.
To achieve my aim, I need to educate catering staff on the benefits of healthy balanced diet for children by delivering a 2 hours ‘on site’ training on healthy meal preparation to school catering staff once every fortnight, to run annually starting from April to July 2017 by a volunteer qualified chef.
To achieve my aim, I need to lobby for a healthy ‘Pack lunch’ policy to be developed by the catering and education staff in partnership with parents by the end of the third quarter, to be implemented by the management board of the school by next academic year.
To achieve my aim, I need to initiate voluntary physical activities of cycling and light track and field events sessions for 2 hours twice a week from April to July 2017 for children within the school sport arena to be led by a physical health and fitness trainer.
To achieve my aim, I need to lobby school management board to move health and fitness up the agenda by end of academic year 2016/17.
- By the end of the 3 months programme in 2017, a 25% improvement in students’ health behaviour and attitude toward healthy eating and a 60% increase in students’ participation in physical activities were achieved.
- Achieved July 2017. By the end of the project, the school catering staffs reported improved health literacy awareness about balance diet and healthy meal preparation. Established model of training for catering staff and an 80% reduction in food wastage achieved by the end of 2017 thereby attracting interest from other institutions with similar health issues in the borough into adopting this approach.
- Achieved by end of 2017. Pack lunch policy implemented by end of the third quarter of 2017 with a 70% increase in number of children registering for pack lunch.
- By end of the academic year 2017, 70% of physical activities participants were empowered through the use of social capital to engage in the pursuit of their health and fitness goal. Five more schools in the borough have adopted and will develop and implement similar project in 2019.
- By the end of the project, two local gyms offered sponsorship to students and provided physical activities facilities to the school sporting organisation at the start of the new academic year.